IDE mod (german)

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IDE mod (german)

Post by IngoQ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:35 am

SolderGirl wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:41 am
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the UltraSatan is connected to the ACSI port?
Yes, it is.
SolderGirl wrote:
You can mount the UltraSatan anywhere inside the case, and then use SD-Extenders to place the cards near the ROM socket.
Nice idea, did not know these, thanks. I have an 1040STE where I hacked exxos' 1.5 Booster in (see the story here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=358 ), so I should have the room.
SolderGirl wrote:
Maybe one would be enough, you could have one normal SD card internally as boot drive, and one with µSD adaptor accessible for data transfer.
That's exactly how I do it. One card for system, the other one for exchange.
SolderGirl wrote:
For the server, i really love that thing. I call it my "vinculum". It brings order to the chaos.
You just outed yourself as a hardcore trekkie ;)
SolderGirl wrote:
And a chaos of files i have indeed, over 6 TB of files by now. Might have to add another HDD this year. Also, i am thinking about migrating it from a BananaPi to an Odroid XU4. The Banana has "only" a 1.2 GHz dual core, and only USB 2.0. The Odroid XU4 has an 8-core Exxynos CPU and also has USB 3.0. But there are other things with higher priority right now.
Mine is running for almost 8 years now, it is a small mini-ATX case with a Atom Dual Core in it. It has 4 SATA ports with 3 drives in RAID 5 and an additional SSD for system. It's running plain Debian and doing its job as (Media-)Fileserver and download server as well. This setup is surprisingly stable, I reboot it roughly once a year.
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry