Strange part connected to flyback of Atari SC1224

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
sandord
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: Strange part connected to flyback of Atari SC1224

Post by sandord » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm

exxos wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:29 am
Dielectric = insulation..

That is, it would take for example over 7,500 volts for it to arc though the insulation to whatever its next to ( such as anything metal etc). So you really want that figure as high as possible.

I don't know the voltages on those lopt's though, they can be as high as 30,000 volts, though generally around 18-22KV I think.. Don't exactly remember.

EDIT:
Though as it has a trippler, the lopt output voltage isn't likely going to be higher than 10,000 volts. So 7,500V (7.5KV) is probably OK between the lopt and tripler..

Though I don't really recommend splicing HV cables..
Thanks, that opens up some more possibilities.

I don't really want to do splicing but I'm afraid I have no choice, no way I'm going to find a new LOPT+tripler set that's pre-wired like the original.

By the way, triplers don't have the fine wiring that LOPTs do, don't they? I suspect that may mean that triplers don't wear as fast as LOPTs do... At least so I hope. That would justify not replacing the tripler a bit more.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:46 pm

sandord wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm
By the way, triplers don't have the fine wiring that LOPTs do, don't they? I suspect that may mean that triplers don't wear as fast as LOPTs do... At least so I hope. That would justify not replacing the tripler a bit more.
They are just a few diodes and capacitors..

ltbeht8.jpg
ltbeht8.jpg (18.74 KiB) Viewed 382 times
Voltage_Multiplier_diagram.PNG
Voltage_Multiplier_diagram.PNG (10.81 KiB) Viewed 382 times
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:12 pm

I wouldn't cut any of the high voltage wiring, everything should be connectorized or it all comes as one piece. When your dealing with high voltage and you solder connections anything that comes to a point is a spot where arc's can occur.`