Exporting MIDI files for the Atari from PC

Problems with your machine in general.
Cosmic Puppet

Exporting MIDI files for the Atari from PC

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

I have a Sony MPF920-Z which according to the PDF should be able to read and write 720K formatted disks on windows XP (which I'm running inside a Virtual Machine on my Windows 10 Pro machine). My PC motherboard has no 34 pin slot, so I'm using a USB Cable Adapter to 34Pin connector onto a USB header on the board. However, it will only read 1.44 format. Typing in the command line doesn't work either. I need to export some MIDI files off Logic 5 (Which runs on my virtual XP) onto pre-formatted 720K disks to be opened in the Atari's MIDI sequencer (I have thousands of bars of music but I find arranging it a pain on Logic).

Would buying a KryoFlux be the answer in this situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my head is minced. :D
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
PhilC

Re: Exporting MIDI files for the Atari from PC

Post by PhilC »

Here's what I know. If it's a HD disk you will need to tape over the the hole on the left hand side (not the r/w one) then the PC should be able to read it when its formatted to 720k.

There is a way to format it to 720k on the PC using the command line but I would format them on your ST first and then put it into the PC.

BTW, my windows 10 will read 720k discs this way, so no need for your VM.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Based on the fact that that the drive supports 720KB and so does XP:

1. Are you using a 1.44MB floppy disk? If so the FDD media detect will prevent you from formatting at 720KB, so you either need to tape over the media detect hole before you can format, or get a 720KB floppy disk. I'd recommend the latter as 1.44MB floppies have a different media that requires stronger magnetic fields to work. It will work, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

2. Does the USB adapter on support 1.44MB? I think it unlikely, but worth a check.

3. Could be some sort of virtual device driver issue, since you're running a floppy on USB through a VM layer on Windows 10.

4. Since you have an Atari, can you format the disk as PC 720KB on that, and then try reading it on the USB floppy in XP? Again, you need to consider the media in use, and if you only have 1.44MB disks, tape over the media detect hole before using on the PC.

Annoying as it is, USB floppies are not a great solution for this sort of thing, since they don't use a 'real' floppy controller. Whilst Kryoflux is a great solution, it may be a bit expensive for your needs.

Have you considered something like a Gotek?

One potential solution is to use an emulator, such as Hatari, and set up a GEMDOS folder on your PC. This is a folder that the emulator sees as a hard drive, but the PC sees just as a folder.

You then copy your files to the GEMDOS folder and then Hatari can see them all. Then create .ST disk images in Hatari and copy the midi files there.

Then copy them to a USB stick, and you can use them with a Gotek.

Alternatively, you could get an Ultrasatan hard disk and format the SD card using PPeras HD driver. The partitions will be accessible under Windows and the Atari so you can transfer your files that way.

Hope that helps!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

PhilC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:49 am Here's what I know. If it's a HD disk you will need to tape over the the hole on the left hand side (not the r/w one) then the PC should be able to read it when its formatted to 720k.

There is a way to format it to 720k on the PC using the command line but I would format them on your ST first and then put it into the PC.

BTW, my windows 10 will read 720k discs this way, so no need for your VM.
Thanks. Unfortunately I've tried the things you suggest. If I put a 720K Atari formatted disk into the drive, the computer asks me to format it. It doesn't seem able to see it.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:05 pm ...You then copy your files to the GEMDOS folder and then Hatari can see them all. Then create .ST disk images in Hatari and copy the midi files there.

Then copy them to a USB stick, and you can use them with a Gotek.

Alternatively, you could get an Ultrasatan hard disk and format the SD card using PPeras HD driver. The partitions will be accessible under Windows and the Atari so you can transfer your files that way.

Hope that helps!!
I have 720K DS DD disks. I can read and write files onto a 1.44 disk on windows 10, but if I put a 720K disk in it asks me to format the disk (even though it is pre-formatted 720K)

It is an internal floppy drive that has been connected to a USB on the board. Since my Atari STFM is brand new and has a fully working floppy drive I like the idea of using the original hardware and am prepared to shell out to make it happen. You don't even want to know how much a never used Atari cost me :lol:

If the KryoFlux can make this happen then I will buy one.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Maybe five this a try from a Dos box

Format A: /N:9 /T:80

It might be bios / driver related that it doesn't work.

Another option as well as a Gotek as mentioned by RJ would be a NetUSBee which will enable you to transfer files over a network connection but that better to be ran from a hard drive of some description.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
DoG

Post by DoG »

PhilC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:18 pm...Another option... would be a NetUSBee which will enable you to transfer files over a network connection but that better to be ran from a hard drive of some description.
PARCPusb is also an alternative.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Hmm, I think it may well be some sort of USB to virtual driver into XP problem you have going on.

I can't comment on kryoflux, as I've not used one, but bear in mind that it is primarily a software preservation tool and as such it may not be what you're expecting, so I'd suggest a good read of the docs before splashing out, as it's going to be over €100 with shipping.

You should be able to map a share into Windows 10 and copy the files directly there and cut out the XP man in the middle. Worth a try straight through Windows 10.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:18 pm Maybe five this a try from a Dos box

Thats what I do on my PC. I have a MPF920 in ST & PC so I can transfer DD floppies between the 2 easy enough. Or use HD with a good ST HD kit ;)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

PhilC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:18 pm Maybe five this a try from a Dos box

It might be bios / driver related that it doesn't work.

Another option as well as a Gotek as mentioned by RJ would be a NetUSBee which will enable you to transfer files over a network connection but that better to be ran from a hard drive of some description.
Tried the Dosbox thing.

The Ultrasatan and NetUSBee don't list the STFM in their compatibility.
Annotation 2019-08-10 125627.png
Annotation 2019-08-10 125627.png (119.87 KiB) Viewed 4459 times

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”