Credit card vs Debit cards on new webstore poll

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!

In exxos store, would you use:

DEBIT CARD
28%
CREDIT CARD
28%
EITHER/BOTH
44%

Total votes: 25

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Credit card vs Debit cards on new webstore poll

Post by exxos » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:51 pm

Because of the complex costs and fees of moving to a new webstore.. It boils down to I would need to add 2% onto credit card orders.. which I can't do because a law last year passed that it can't be done anymore.

So I am basically left with 2 options..
1) increase every price in my store by 2% to cover costs (which is slightly unfair to debit card users)
2) Only accept debit cards and keep prices in store the same (credit cards would no longer be accepted)

So I started a poll to see what the "feel" is about all this. I assume everyone would have a debit card anyway...
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

czietz

Re: Credit card vs Debit cards on new webstore poll

Post by czietz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:24 pm

What kind of debit cards does your payment processor accept? Like many Germans I have a debit card linked to our national payment system ("Girocard") but for international webshop orders I always use my credit card. (My debit card doesn't even have a card number that I could enter into a webshop form.)

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:10 pm

I always use a credit card for on-line orders due to the extra protection from the consumer credit act plus it doesn’t allow direct access to my bank account, mitigating the potential hazard of the card details being leaked.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:42 pm

czietz wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:24 pm
What kind of debit cards does your payment processor accept? Like many Germans I have a debit card linked to our national payment system ("Girocard") but for international webshop orders I always use my credit card. (My debit card doesn't even have a card number that I could enter into a webshop form.)
https://www.sagepay.co.uk/support/12/36 ... ansactions
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

czietz

Post by czietz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:28 pm

exxos wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:42 pm
czietz wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:24 pm
https://www.sagepay.co.uk/support/12/36 ... ansactions
I'm afraid that does not tell me which kind of cards they would consider debit cards. Anyway, my German debit card looks like this: https://www.comdirect.de/magazin/wp-con ... 190718.jpg and cannot be used for online payment. I'd say by only accepting Mastercard and Visa branded debit cards and no alternative payment options, you'd lose most of your German customers.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Its the only list I could find. I don't have any more info than is on the sage site. They supposed to accept all major cards. Exactly what I don't know yet. Stripe only accept credit cards, and I get no end of people in EU complaining they don't have credit cards because they cost to much. So I lost a lot of custom that way anyway. Most just want to use iban which I can't take anyway.

DrF

Post by DrF » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:31 pm

exxos wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:41 pm
EU complaining they don't have credit cards because they cost to much. So I lost a lot of custom that way anyway. Most just want to use iban which I can't take anyway.
I was reading about the other day, I find that quite interesting why Europeans are like that, that's when I learnt about that German GiroCard as mentioned here, I only have a credit card for protections/insurances its provides for purchases. I use it then go home and pay it off, bet they hate me :lol:

The amount of times I got stuffed with a debit card not being able to get money back, stuff never coming, had enough of that. I also remember in the early days of online shopping no where would take my debit cards (Visa Electron & SOLO both gone now I think) anyhow only credit cards back then.

Some banks/cards have a option to create a virtual/temporary card you load up with money and use that, more popular in USA that.

There's loads of so called "app-banks" now, sign up for a account in mins on a phone. Starling, Monzo I see ads for loads of these all the time, there cards are debit Visas, popular with people from Europe that's how I learnt about them who can't get UK cards (no credit check, no address needed)

Then we are left with the option of pre-paid cards I had to use them for years, luckily the fees are right down now.

Major issue here is jumping through hoops to buy something, but then again where else can you get these ST parts? if a customer has a need/want bad enough they will do it or find a way.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:19 pm

DrF wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:31 pm
I was reading about the other day, I find that quite interesting why Europeans are like that, that's when I learnt about that German GiroCard as mentioned here
Sage say "Giropay" No idea if thats a Girocard thing... EU people get charged for credit cards, its why they don't tend to have them.. but if they haven't got proper debit cards either, then they probably need to move country I think :lol: :roll:

DrF wrote:
Some banks/cards have a option to create a virtual/temporary card you load up with money and use that, more popular in USA that.Then we are left with the option of pre-paid cards I had to use them for years, luckily the fees are right down now.
I think some people did that in the end to order from my store.

DrF wrote:
Major issue here is jumping through hoops to buy something, but then again where else can you get these ST parts? if a customer has a need/want bad enough they will do it or find a way.
Yeah, though if I am going to the trouble of re-coding my site, I would want to add more payment methods for people.. also it makes my store more future proof if I need to change processor in the future, as it isn't/wouldnt "integrated" into my site like stripe is.

Problem with Sage, is while they apparently charge a flat rate for 350 transactions, I am not convinced... another site claims there is transaction charges of like 2% for credit cards.. Sage claim "no hidden fees" and they may be the case with "them" , but the round trip back to me, I think I will get charged somewhere along the line, so I am not convinced Sage are really telling the whole truth...

In terms of debit cards, 0.75% , plus the monthly fees, it would work out the same as I pay for stripe now.. but over 2% on credit cards is basically a new cost.. Hence the poll. It may only be £2 in a £100 order, but over the year, its not funny. I'm actually losing a few pence per transaction because Stripe have EU and non-EU fees, so I had to average it over the year to get some actual transaction cost figure.

It be better to charge fees based on EU or non-EU, but UK law doesn't allow such fees to be dumped onto orders anymore. Which in itself is stupid, as people paying by debit cards could get a discount.. So what will companies do, dump the fees on products price on the "worst case" fees.. So customers end up paying more not less :roll: But it looks good on the receipts not having a credit card surcharge :roll:

I probably signed up with Sage to soon, I opted to pay for the year as it was cheaper than per month.. there may be other companies I could use, but think they all gonna be as bad as eachother for support. Sage just looked good for taking more payment methods, just I didn't know about the "other fees" in the transactions before I signed up :roll: Currently waiting to see what Sage say...

Moving from Stripe is half in principle, and half their changes will break how my hole webstore works.. Even if I did all the changes, whos to say all this isn't going to happen next year with something else ? Where does it end ? So I might as well go fully "off site" with the transactions to avoid future hassle.

Also wonder how many companies will start going out of business using Stripe who haven't updated their store code either on the 14th next month..

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:45 pm

stephen_usher wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:10 pm
I always use a credit card for on-line orders due to the extra protection from the consumer credit act plus it doesn’t allow direct access to my bank account, mitigating the potential hazard of the card details being leaked.
This is also my way of thinking too.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

czietz

Post by czietz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:12 pm

exxos wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:19 pm
Sage say "Giropay" No idea if thats a Girocard thing... EU people get charged for credit cards, its why they don't tend to have them.. but if they haven't got proper debit cards either, then they probably need to move country I think :lol: :roll:
Giropay is a system that transfers money from the buyer's bank account on the seller's behalf. It has nothing to do with the Girocard national debit card.

Just for you to understand, the situation in Germany is as follows: Basically everyone has a bank account. With every bank account you get a Girocard debit card that can be used with ATMs, in stores, restaurants, etc., usually also within the EU. German online shops often offer direct debit from your bank account by simply giving them the IBAN. Thus, you can live perfectly with just a Girocard, which is what maybe half of the Germans do. For online shopping abroad, people often use PayPal (they can direct debit from a German bank account) or get a credit card. (BTW, here there are plenty of credit cards offered without any fees. So if people tell you they don't have a credit card because of the costs, they usually haven't looked hard enough.) Visa or Mastercard debit cards on the other hand are almost non-existent because there's no use for them.

Return to “CHAT FORUM”