To keep or Not to keep?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
PhilC

To keep or Not to keep?

Post by PhilC » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:08 pm

How do you guys decide on which computers you keep in your collections and which you dont?

I'm having a tidy up as I'm running out of space and time, so have been selling off some parts of my collection.

But I'm in two minds as to what to keep or not. I mean, I've just fixed and upgraded my old Spectrum +3, new Ram, dodgy track fixed and a Gotek fitted. But do I really want / need a Spectrum in my collection?

How do you guys decide?

Here's the Spectrum.
20191011_160355.jpg
20191011_160355.jpg (231.1 KiB) Viewed 119 times
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: To keep or Not to keep?

Post by exxos » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:11 pm

PhilC wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:08 pm
How do you guys decide on which computers you keep in your collections and which you dont?
This is why we have lofts.. It's the "decide another day space" ;)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:23 pm

True but maybe after a few games of Manic Miner first.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:45 pm

PhilC wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:23 pm
True but maybe after a few games of Manic Miner first.
Phil, its really pretty easy.

1. Take the computer top off and examine the MB.
2. Count the level of un-f%ckit and enhancement boards.
3. Keep everything with a count of 3 | greater.

Simple enough.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Using that logic Paul, I better move to a bigger house :D

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:30 pm

It is what it is. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Im in the long process of having a clearout as you may well know. Getting rid of ~80% of my computer 'stock'.

I think the thing that made me decide to clearout was the dilemma of trying to spread myself (very thinly!) over too many projects.

Things just get overwhelming and you end up not getting anything done.

I decided to concentrate my efforts on just 2 computer related projects and this has given me focus.
As Im getting rid, its feeling like Im decluttering my mind too! Not a bad thing to happen I think. Maybe you should try it! :D

Maybe choose a few of your absolute favourite machines and sell the rest?

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:57 pm

I think that's what I may do in the end MrB.

I so like having lots of projects to do but money and time always limit what we can do.

So the hard bit is still deciding what to part with. Do I really need 3 Mega STs after all :lol:

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 pm

PhilC wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:51 pm
Using that logic Paul, I better move to a bigger house :D
Maybe you could get Icky to print you a larger house... then you could keep all your toys.. :D :D :D Then maybe some money... think of it as a fancy label! :crazy: :crazy:

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:41 am

Yeah, I know that problem... When I started getting back into the old machines, I thought a lot about that. I met a guy who collects absolutely everything, he fills up not only parts of his rather small house, but several storage rooms across Germany as well. He has no idea what he actually has and no chance to use most of it. I did not want to be in his shoes, although having so much toys has its own charm for sure.

So I decided to limit myself to a very specific range and selection of machines. These I wanted to be in best condition, upgraded to a certain extent and fully usable at any time I want. So I started making a list of the machines I wanted to get and started hunting. One machine at a time. And when I had it, I started repairing, reworking and upgrading until it was to my liking. Then it got its place in my retro area, and after some time playing with it, I went on to the next one.

The result currently looks like this:
1 - Regal.jpg
1 - Regal.jpg (239.61 KiB) Viewed 39 times
I have to admit, that I did not manage to stick to that a 100% percent, so there is still some clutter around, that I don't use. But it works and I can have a lot of fun with it. Of course, there are machines that I would still like to have. There is still some room, and my wife is okay with it, as long as I don't fill up the house with my stuff ;)
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |

Return to “CHAT FORUM”