Projects and Stuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
User avatar
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am
Location: USA

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:43 pm

czietz wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:33 pm
PaulJ wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:02 pm
Noticed that the built in HD driver for EmuTOS doesn't work with the IDE board.
It works with other Falcon-compatible IDE interfaces, like the Lightning ST, for sure. But please be aware that IDE support is only included in EmuTOS ROMs 256k and bigger, not in the 192k version.
Yes, your most correct about the Lightning ST with its forever home in my mega. I was a little surprised when EmuTOS booted to HD with the Lightning's IDE interface. Wasn't aware it was a part of the image but a pleasant surprise.

User avatar
Icky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by Icky » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:15 pm

czietz wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:33 pm
PaulJ wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:02 pm
Noticed that the built in HD driver for EmuTOS doesn't work with the IDE board.
It works with other Falcon-compatible IDE interfaces, like the Lightning ST, for sure. But please be aware that IDE support is only included in EmuTOS ROMs 256k and bigger, not in the 192k version.
@PaulJ can you confirm which version of EmuTOS you were using 192k or 256k.

User avatar
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am
Location: USA

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:33 pm

@Icky Its 9.12 256k.

User avatar
Icky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by Icky » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am

Thanks @PaulJ. The IDE DEV V1.1 is still a dev board as we have been concentrating on Trudie V5 for IDE so it hasn't been tested with EmuTOS and built to support it.

User avatar
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am
Location: USA

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Icky wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am
Thanks @PaulJ. The IDE DEV V1.1 is still a dev board as we have been concentrating on Trudie V5 for IDE so it hasn't been tested with EmuTOS and built to support it.
Ya, I didn't even realize EmuTOS had its own IDE driver which by the way is a 1300 kb instead of the 1450 kb with HDDriver. I discovered it using the eprom emulator in the MEGA with the Lightning card. I went to use HDDrivers util program and it said you need to load the driver. Figured it out after a little investigation. I do like the font EmuTOS uses. I like the new IDE board.. can put the eprom emulator in the CPU socket on the board which makes a nice short run for the EPROM decode signal. In general I usually run with TOS 2.06 and HDDriver. :thumbup:

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9650
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by exxos » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm

I've not used EMUTOS much. I don't think anyone tested EMUTOS built in IDE driver on the V1 boards. Though There shouldn't be any reason for it not to work with EMUTOS. I decode the IDE address range as normal and of course works with HD11 etc. So maybe its a bug in EMUTOS ? @thorsten.otto ?
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am
Location: USA

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm

exxos wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm
I've not used EMUTOS much. I don't think anyone tested EMUTOS built in IDE driver on the V1 boards. Though There shouldn't be any reason for it not to work with EMUTOS. I decode the IDE address range as normal and of course works with HD11 etc. So maybe its a bug in EMUTOS ? @thorsten.otto ?
I didn't even know it had its own driver until I ran EmuTOS with the Lightning. It does work good with the Lightning. As I said I usually run 2.06 and HDDriver 11.0 which is quite happy with the IDE 1.1 board. I can see myself switching to EnuTOS, really prefer the font it uses and it appears to have quite a bit of stuff built in. I like the shell that is a part of the 256k version.

User avatar
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am
Location: USA

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 pm

@Icky , I was reading some compact flash cards from when we were working on the initial IDE board and EmuTOS was able to read it. So it appears it may not be a hardware issue but a compact flash card formatting issue.

User avatar
Icky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by Icky » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 pm

PaulJ wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 pm
@Icky , I was reading some compact flash cards from when we were working on the initial IDE board and EmuTOS was able to read it. So it appears it may not be a hardware issue but a compact flash card formatting issue.
Hi PaulJ - so to confirm you have booted a different CF under EmuTOS using the builtin EmuTOS driver?

User avatar
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am
Location: USA

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:39 pm

Icky wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 pm
Hi PaulJ - so to confirm you have booted a different CF under EmuTOS using the builtin EmuTOS driver?
Yes, I've been booting 2.0 6, EmuTOS 256k, KAOS, and 1.04 with driver from Gotek.. with this card. :)

Post Reply

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”