Today I received...

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
stephen_usher
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Today I received...

Post by stephen_usher » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:36 pm

My accelerated ZX Spectrum Next arrived! :D :dualthumbup: :girldance: :girldance: :girldance: :merryxmas:
IMG_1827.jpg
IMG_1827.jpg (290.36 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Today I received...

Post by exxos » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:59 pm

:bravo: :girldance: :girldance: :girldance:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Looks good to me. Is there an incoming review?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm

I really would like to get my hands on one of these.
I know I have stated in the past that the spectrum hasn't aged well and that I have no intention of getting one, but I stupidly did recently and hate it.
I would however really like one of these. All the bad bits have been improved massively.

stephen_usher
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by stephen_usher » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:25 pm

I'm not sure about a review, I'll have to have a play after my Sun SPARCstation 1 finishes compiling the NetBSD kernel, which will probably be tomorrow.

(The current version of GCC is *SLOW* and *BIG*. "Hello world" takes about 1.5 minutes to compile on this machine now, with about 20 seconds of that being the cc1 process doing a checksum of itself, and starts off at 23MB in size and then balloons. I had to use the SIMMs from my old(er) 16MB TT fast RAM board up upgrade the machine to 28MB as otherwise it would have probably taken a couple of weeks to compile the kernel. Back in the day GCC 2.7.2 would compile "Hello World" in about 10 seconds and work on an 8MB machine.)

Anyway, from the use of my "bare board" Next, which is housed in a Spectrum+ case, it works very well. Elite at 24MHz is a bit unplayable though. The sound is decent, 3xAY-3-8912s. The new games are using the new graphics modes. To be honest, it's up-to and beyond STe levels of quality, pushing Amiga on the graphics front, but fully backwards compatible with the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3. Old peripherals mostly work, if you turn off some of the built-in stuff and turn on the expansion port with a couple of OUT() commands.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.

stephen_usher
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by stephen_usher » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 pm

PaulJ_2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm
I really would like to get my hands on one of these.
I know I have stated in the past that the spectrum hasn't aged well and that I have no intention of getting one, but I stupidly did recently and hate it.
I would however really like one of these. All the bad bits have been improved massively.
They are planning/hoping for a second Kickstarter soon, though it's been put into a little doubt by the pandemic and the possible financial impact on those who would have supported the project.

Oh, and the keyboard is nice. Like a high quality laptop keyboard.

Return to “CHAT FORUM”