My summer project: A colour Stacy

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Atarian Computing

Re: My summer project: A colour Stacy

Post by Atarian Computing » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm

thorsten.otto wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:58 am
The original TOS for Stacy is a bit different, so maybe this only works because you replaced it ;)
STacy TOS is byte-to-byte identical to "regular" TOS 1.04.

derkom

Post by derkom » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Atarian Computing wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:54 am
As for my projects, obviously you have a Cloudy so my project that was on hold is now obsolete :)
The Cloudy is a really nice upgrade. But of course as you well know, the space available above the 68000 in a stock Stacy with a stock internal PSU is basically nil after you socket the 68k. Early on in this Stacy project (before deciding to chuck the factory display), I designed a CPU relocator PCB for the Stacy that plugs into the 68k socket and provides a 68k socket over where the SCSI controller used to live. It actually worked fine with just the 68k plugged in, but I was never able to get it run stable with the Thunder and Cloudy boards installed, in part or perhaps entirely because that internal PSU generates a lot of EMI and my relocator board was necessarily running the entire CPU bus across the computer, right below the PSU. Fortunately, that whole operation became moot once I decided to replace the screen.

czietz

Post by czietz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:45 pm

Atarian Computing wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm
thorsten.otto wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:58 am
The original TOS for Stacy is a bit different, so maybe this only works because you replaced it ;)
STacy TOS is byte-to-byte identical to "regular" TOS 1.04.
I suppose Thorsten confused the STacy with the ST Book. (The latter uses a modified TOS 2.0x.)
derkom wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:16 pm
The Cloudy is a really nice upgrade.
Just out of curiosity: Could you post a photo of the Cloudy fitted in the STacy? And, if you upgrade with Lightning ST (for IDE/USB) and Storm ST (for Alt-RAM), as you mentioned, I'd also love to see photos of that.

derkom

Post by derkom » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:50 pm

czietz wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:45 pm
Just out of curiosity: Could you post a photo of the Cloudy fitted in the STacy? And, if you upgrade with Lightning ST (for IDE/USB) and Storm ST (for Alt-RAM), as you mentioned, I'd also love to see photos of that.
I sure will once it's back in there. Right now it's all pulled back out while I work on the video stuff.

I don't actually have the Storm in my possession yet. It arrived at the post office a couple of days ago, but since I try to combine errands these days, I only tend to get out that direction about once a week.

agranlund

Post by agranlund » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:52 pm

This is amazingly cool!

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”