Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Smonson

Re: Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Post by Smonson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:26 am

If you guys have got enough motivation left to do that, then that would be awesome. I suspect that the problem is in the machine rather than the DVI board, though. All the boards were tested on my machine before I sent them out, and Troed had the same problem with 2 different DVI boards.

Hey, random question: who has a machined-pin IC socket under their shifter and who had a cheaper blade style socket? I have machined pin myself. I think they have a higher rated current capacity - perhaps they also have lower contact resistance.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:17 am

All mine are blade types. Though I have had problems with those round header pins as well. I keep having to wipe them with IPA to get my boosters working. They don't look dirty and I'm hardly thouching them either... I'm assuming icky and troed have splashed some IPA about on it all...

Its hard to think what's going on. Though I think icky has tried a real stfm and the remake stf. So granted there are differences on various revisions of motherboards, the stf remake should have worked better than a normal stfm. So I'm leaning towards more of some problem on the FPGA board.

Again I'm assuming the FPGA board has been dismantled and IPA put on all the pins by troed and icky..

There still might be a bad solderjoint somewhere. I had a bad joint on one of the diodes on a PSU earlier. Looked fine, even metered out just fine everywhere..and yet the PSU malfunctioned because of a bad solder joint. I resoldered all 4 diodes and its working fine now. So its easy to get caught out.. There may be a bad solder on the FPGA itself..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Icky

Post by Icky » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:12 am

I have a working STFM arriving in the next few days so will try the board out on that one too. If I am still having issues I will send my DVI board to exxos to check on his STFM to see if it is working there.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Icky wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:12 am
I have a working STFM arriving in the next few days so will try the board out on that one too. If I am still having issues I will send my DVI board to exxos to check on his STFM to see if it is working there.
:thumbup:

I forgot (Again sorry) what you was using before, think it was the "ST" and STF remake ? So STFM would be good as its what I tried it out on.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Icky

Post by Icky » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:55 pm

exxos wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:37 pm
Icky wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:12 am

I forgot (Again sorry) what you was using before, think it was the "ST" and STF remake ? So STFM would be good as its what I tried it out on.
Problem exists on 520ST and STF Remake so as you say trying on an STFM would be good.

Icky

Post by Icky » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Icky wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:55 pm
exxos wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Problem exists on 520ST and STF Remake so as you say trying on an STFM would be good.
The plot thickens - Finally got the new (well new for me) STFM and it was functioning correctly.

Fortunately the shifter was already socketed which saved some time. I popped in the HDMI / DVI board and booted.

It did not reset. Have had it running GEMBench for over 30 minutes and still has not reset.

Just to check I put it back in the 520 ST and it starts resetting again.

One thing though is that I am getting a shimmering on the display on the STFM - will look into that next as well.

IMG_3488.jpg
IMG_3488.jpg (126.02 KiB) Viewed 409 times

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:46 pm

Icky wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm
One thing though is that I am getting a shimmering on the display on the STFM - will look into that next as well.
Thats the issue I had...

Icky

Post by Icky » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 pm

exxos wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:46 pm
Icky wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm
Thats the issue I had...
At least we are consistent :)

So interestingly from my testing I see the following traits

ST ModelRevisionResettingShimmeringComments
520 STMC070243 REV. EYesNoRock solid display can be seen if you can get it past resetting and playing a game
520 STFMC070789-001 REV. CNoYesShimmering even present playing a game
STF RemakeC070789-001 REV. FYesNoRevision is from the donor STFM that gave the remake most of its parts. Seems to exhibit same behaviour as 520ST

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Icky wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 pm
At least we are consistent :)

So interestingly from my testing I see the following traits
Very odd..

Add this cap and I bet you be working fine...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=330&start=270#p14777

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks for finding this out Icky! Amazing work!