Let's play cartoons on STE, TT, Falcon

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: Petari

Darklord

Re: Let's play cartoons on STE, TT, Falcon

Post by Darklord » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:48 am

Petari wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 pm

OK. But I need to know it it working now, as is, on your beast of Stacy :D Of course without sound.

Sorry for the amateurish video, but around the 7:50 mark you can see it playing a video using your
software. this is on the stock LCD screen but it will also play externally on a color monitor.

Thanks!
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:20 pm

I meant player SW what is linked in very first post in this thread. There is video too ...
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Darklord

Post by Darklord » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Petari wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 pm
Darklord wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am
You bet I want video with sound on my 40 mhz 68030, 40mhz 68882 FPU, 32 bit TOS v3.06 equipped STacy
with an Ultrasatan (gonna exchange that for a CosmosEX one of these days)! :)
OK. But I need to know it it working now, as is, on your beast of Stacy :D Of course without sound.
Wow, sorry to take so long to get back on this. Lav3 version plays fine on my 40mhz Pak3 equipped STacy.

No sound of course, but it plays very smoothly. The first file, the episode about the pink panther selling the magic elixir
seemed to do better with the color encoding than the 2nd file. The second file was about the pink panther vs the painter.

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:56 am

Darklord wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 pm
No sound of course, but it plays very smoothly. The first file, the episode about the pink panther selling the magic elixir
seemed to do better with the color encoding than the 2nd file. The second file was about the pink panther vs the painter.
Yep, I'm for smooth playback of video in first place - so constant speed/framerate. In this case it is not hard, since we go in 12 fps only - as is explained.
Considering colors: I would not say 'encoding' - here, regular 16 color ST(E) low res is used. It would look better in high color - but again, that's for STE rather. And of course, that can not work with this resolution and UltraSatan - not enough transfer rate. Main problem is conversion to 16 colors per screen. I experimented a lot with it. Additional problem was noise and gradient in painter video (very first Pink Panther cartoon) . Some videos look better, some not with 16 colors.
And it will be similar with PSG audio - will need to sacrifice a lot of quality to make it work on STs . But since it is not urgent, don't expect it soon. Probably next year. Now too busy with making TOS more civilized :lol:
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Darklord

Post by Darklord » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 am

Understood. Been following that message thread as well. I'm fairly sure thats
a pretty intensive project you've undertaken. :)