My latest restoration in pictures

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Atarian Computing
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am

My latest restoration in pictures

Post by Atarian Computing » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:04 am

This is a long post so I'll link to my blog: http://www.atariancomputing.com/blog/at ... onpictures

User avatar
dhedberg
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: My latest restoration in pictures

Post by dhedberg » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Atarian Computing wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:04 am
This is a long post so I'll link to my blog: http://www.atariancomputing.com/blog/at ... onpictures
Great job! Well executed!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

Atarian Computing
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am

Re: My latest restoration in pictures

Post by Atarian Computing » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:02 pm

dhedberg wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:36 pm
Great job! Well executed!
Thank you! Appreciate it.

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4634
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: My latest restoration in pictures

Post by exxos » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:58 pm

:bravo: :coolpics:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Steve
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:49 am

Re: My latest restoration in pictures

Post by Steve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:54 am

Amazing work!

tzok
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Re: My latest restoration in pictures

Post by tzok » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 pm

Nice restoration, but IMHO cables for RAM mod should be of equal length and best point to connect them is in the middle of RAM chips (between U30 and U32). I also find recapping working units pointless. All caps I ever removed from working STs were in perfect shape (in terms of capacitance, ESR, and leakage).

Atarian Computing
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am

Re: My latest restoration in pictures

Post by Atarian Computing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:49 pm

tzok wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 pm
Nice restoration, but IMHO cables for RAM mod should be of equal length and best point to connect them is in the middle of RAM chips (between U30 and U32). I also find recapping working units pointless. All caps I ever removed from working STs were in perfect shape (in terms of capacitance, ESR, and leakage).
Thanks. Your points are noted. I followed Atari's own upgrade procedure and lengths are not critical in this application.

Re-capping seems to be the most contested subject in retro-computing. Restoration is just that, to try to bring back the unit to its original, new condition. This means repealing and replacing lytics whether or not they are fully functional. I just cannot, as a registered business, leave 30+ year-old caps on a unit and call it restored. Also, if the outcome is brand new, best quality capacitors, what's the harm? I like soldering. Finally, this was a "restored to order" project and the client requested a re-cap.

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4634
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: My latest restoration in pictures

Post by exxos » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Atarian Computing wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:49 pm
I just cannot, as a registered business, leave 30+ year-old caps on a unit and call it restored.
:bravo:

Its like driving a car for 30 years without ever changing the engine oil. Sure it may still go, blowing out smoke like mad, reducing the life of the engine, but who cares as long as its still moving right ?
:sarcasm:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Atarian Computing
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am

Re: My latest restoration in pictures

Post by Atarian Computing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:23 pm

exxos wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:52 pm
Atarian Computing wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:49 pm
I just cannot, as a registered business, leave 30+ year-old caps on a unit and call it restored.
:bravo:

Its like driving a car for 30 years without ever changing the engine oil. Sure it may still go, blowing out smoke like mad, reducing the life of the engine, but who cares as long as its still moving right ?
:sarcasm:
Yeah, well put. And I love car analogies.

tzok
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Re: My latest restoration in pictures

Post by tzok » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:08 pm

I'd rather compare it to replacing old but still working bulbs with a modern ones. My opinion is to not replace anything that still works good. Caps in ST are not known to cause problems or being excessively faulty. There were a series of faulty caps in other home computers from '80s and '90s, but not in ST. I've recently noticed, that everyone is recapping a vintage computers. They seem to see a remedy for all faults in it.

Post Reply